Friday, December 21, 2018

Finding Balance

It has been awhile since I choose a word for the year - Nina Marie Sayre reminded me of the tradition in her Off the Wall Friday post this morning. I have been thinking about what word should be my focus through 2019 and I think the word is Balance.

Balance - a condition in which different elements are equal or in correct proportions.

This is something that has not be in play for the last few years. We moved up to NC and our farm in 2015 and since then my artistic endeavors as a quilter have been limited and always on a time crunch. I felt that I could not slow down and enjoy the process of making art. I used to journal and draw every morning and that has gone by the wayside.

This year has been especially stressful, as between my daughter and I, we have participated in 40 different events - from quilt shows to farmers markets to teaching at my local guild. As we are still in the process of developing our product lines and processes - every week seem to be a mad dash to get ready for the next weekend.

We will start the grind again the March of next year and I hope between now and then that we will be able to have a better starting inventory so that we will not feel as pushed every single week.

I want to quilt more on a regular basis. 

I want to travel both by myself and with my husband of (gasp is it possible of  37 years!)

I want to spend some time enjoying the 30+ acres of our property - we have an amazing place here in the mountains - with a wonderful waterfall that I just want to sit by and find Balance.

I want not to work every single waking moment of every single day.

Today I took a picture of my studio -


as you can see I have a wonderful space to create and it is an absolute tip. Almost every flat surface is covered and to work on any thing at all you have to move something out of the way. After I took this photo, I started to clean up and that is what I will be working on until the first of the year. 

The holidays start today with the Winter Solstice and Jeremy (weather permitting) is coming home tomorrow, so it will be difficult to find more than a moment or two to myself. But if I can get my work space straight - maybe I can start the year off calmer.

I nearly deleted this post and then thought - not all blog posts should be about the wonderful, successful projects but sometimes show that angst that goes on behind the scenes.

So here it 2019 and Balance! 

Day 19 of the of the 31 Day Blog Writing Challenge


4 comments:

  1. How refreshing to read about your balance. Good luck with that. I just listened to a podcast by the two actresses on Mrs Maisel, and one said she thinks balance might be a myth! We just full on do one thing or another, and cope! Peace is a goal though. I'm with you on the sorting and setting up systems to keep a horizontal surface clear enough to work on!
    LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hoping if I can find a home for everything - I will put things away when I am finished with them!

      Delete
  2. This year has been a year of big transitions for me and I can appreciate your need to feel a sense of balance or perhaps calm so you can get on with creation. My work space is an absolute horror and my focus in the new year will be to clean up and get to work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Transitions, good or bad, can really effect the ability to create.

    ReplyDelete