Tuesday, August 27, 2013

A Tale of Two Needles and Two Bridesmaid Dresses

So, it's been a while since my last post.  I have been working on many projects - unfortunately some are presents yet to be given and some are experiments and are not ready for prime time.

Along with these soon to be seen projects I was knitting a new pair of socks.  My first use of self-stripping yarn and a single Addi Turbo circular needle in new toe up design.

Epic fail.

I kept trying to convince myself they really did fit but after turning the heel, I had to face facts - these are terrible socks. The pattern has a too pointy toe for my wide feet, the heel is also too pointy and worst of all - they are too big. I did not realize that US size 1 needles actual come in two sizes.  The Addi Turbo size 1 needle is 2.5 mm and the Cover bamboo size 1 double pointed needles (that I have used successfully before) are 2.25 mm.  A difference of .25 mm and yes, gauge does matter. So this sock is history!

I am starting again - with the circular needles for the toe and first few rounds (I did like that part of using the circular needles vs the double pointed) and then I am switching to the bamboo needles (which I like the feel of better).  I am going to use the slip heel basic sock pattern from Socks for the Toe Up by Wendy D. Johnson that I have made before and get my sock Mojo back.

Along with this not so successful knitting project for most of the month of July I was making bridesmaid dresses for my daughter and her friend for a wedding held the first weekend in August.   Multiple layers, lots of gathering, pattern pieces that didn't fit together very well and not one but two dress to make!  They were finished the Thursday before the wedding and the girls looked very pretty.

It has taken a few weeks to get my studio straightened and back to work on my own projects.  Hopefully the hot, humid weather of summer in Charleston is coming to an end and I will be more inspired to work.