Several years ago we had a severe storm come through and as he watched, the tree swayed back and forth in the wind until it went just a bit to far - and down it went. It landed just about perfectly along the edge of our marsh pond (away from the fence, the deck and the house). Since then it has been a perfect place for the water birds to perch while they scout the pond for fish and frogs. The turtles also like to sun themselves on it.
The first picture is the first layer of paint. It is much too light.
I added more paint and for the bark area, I used a sponge. For the area where the bark is peeled off I dragged a fan brush across the surface to create wood grain lines.
Originally I planed to have the log be one piece - but now I think I will cut the bark out, thread sketch it, and then use an additional layer of batting under it to create more dimension. It will add some issues in construction, but I think I have figured out how to cover the additional seam with the cattails I am working on next.
I am linking this to Nina-Marie Sayre's Off the Wall Fridays as a way to keep me focused on finishing this piece!