Saturday, March 23, 2013

The View from My Studio




I have been working on a quilt  that captures a bit of the view from my studio. When I look up from my sewing machine I often see an osprey sitting in a dead tree across the marsh


or egrets in the pond below.


The quilt I am working on uses the pond for the inspiration.  I have sewn the upper part of the background using hand painted fabrics using a variation of braids.  It took longer than I thought it would to finish (it always does) and I am now ready to begin the foreground which will include a log, cattails, an egret and a bit of the pond.


I want to enter this in an upcoming show with a deadline not to far in the future so to keep me on target I am going to link my progress to Nina-Marie's Off the Wall Friday posts.


4 comments:

  1. ohhh that's a nice beginning - can't wait to see how the rest develops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. And I love the photos. Do you mean the chevron style of peicing is called braiding? It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have several books that refer to this chevron style as braids - but you know how it is in quilting, there are probably several more names for this technique.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful background start - looks like the marsh, feels like the marsh. Who's going to be featured? I will stay tuned :)

    ReplyDelete