Sunday, December 23, 2018

Anything Goes

I am starting to work on an three dimensional art quilt* for the Anything Goes exhibit at the Ashe County Arts Council gallery in February. I have made three-dimensional quilts before but have never been completely satisfied with the end results. The last one I made was an epic fail - but made for a good laugh. I was restricted by the hanging requirements of a traditional quilt show and the weight of the piece on the front pulled the piece out of balance.

This time I hope by making a piece for a gallery, I can play with the hanging method as well as the actual piece itself. 

I started making a paper model yesterday and did some rough watercolor pencil work on it today. I am trying to have two different views of the mountains - one in spring and one in the fall. Depending upon where the viewer is standing will dictate the season they see.

Spring

Fall

Front View

I still need to do a full sketch of the mountains and I plan to do a small mock up in fabric to test out the hanging method. I hope by starting now I will have time to do some playing and not just rush to finish a piece for a deadline.

Day 20 of the of the 31 Day Blog Writing Challenge. I missed yesterday - but as I have now written more posts this month than in the previous five years - I think the challenge is working. A habit is being developed!

*This project is funded as a cooperative venture of Alleghany Arts Council, Ashe County Arts Council, Watauga Arts Council, and Wilkes Art Gallery with support from a Regional Artist Project Grant of the North Carolina Arts Council, a Division of the Department of Natural and Cultural Resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment