Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Amazing What You Can Do in Less than an Hour

We had another beautiful day - sunshine and fairly warm - so washing and dyeing fleece were once again on the top of the to-do-list. Yesterday we started dying JDub's fleece in our tanzanite mix.  This morning just as it was put on the drying racks it looked like this:


After a few hours in the sun, it is very fluffy and ready to move the the next stage of processing: carding.  Adrienne and I will fight over who gets to spin this, I think.


I also wash some of our silver grey alpaca Smudge's blanket from this year.  He doesn't work well on his own as yarn, but has a wonderful color that we mix with our fawn Rio's fleece to make our Marble yarn line. We also use his fleece in a lot of our felted items.

This afternoon after Micah and Rio's annual vet visit - they needed a few routine shots and a once over that they both passed with flying colors, I actually got in the studio for almost an hour!

I worked on Bonnie Hunter's Good Fortune Mystery clue number 4.  It has been a while since I did any foundation piecing on paper that wasn't paper piecing a specific pattern. It went very fast and I have 12 pieces to add to the other clues. 


Tomorrow is supposed to be our last sunny day for awhile - possibly snow on Friday night. So I will try to wash some more fleece and hopefully will get more than an hour to work in the studio.  What I really need to do is clean up in there - between quilting projects, curtains, fleece, rearranging for a new cabinet, and wrapping Christmas presents - it is a bit of a disaster. 

Day 16 of the of the 31 Day Blog Writing Challenge

6 comments:

  1. The dyed fleece looks lovely! And so do your mystery units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I have really enjoyed working on the mystery this year- even if all I do is make the units.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful mix of color in your wool. Color inspiration there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dyeing alpaca fleece is always an adventure - we know how our dye mixes turn out on wool yarn - but the alpaca is always a bit of a suprise.

      Delete
  3. Your pieces for the mystery quilt look great. I'm interested that you dye you fleece before spinning; I was taught to spin first as the lanolin on the wool makes spinning easier on the hands. The dyed fleece looks very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alpaca fleece does not have lanolin - which makes it great for those that are allergic to wool as it is usually the lanolin that causes the problem. We dye both fleece before spinning and spun yarn - just depends upon the look we are going for. Regardless of whether or not the fleece will be dyed, I always wash our fleece first - my daughter does not like to spin raw fleece.

      Delete