Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Portal - Another Time, Another Place

The latest challenge for my art group (ATW) was to do a piece based upon the phrase "Another Time, Another Place".  I choose to do a almost whole cloth quilt from a photo I took in 1981 near Killarney, Ireland at Muckross Abbey.


This has always been one of my favorite photo's I took while traveling during my junior year of college.  Several friends where traveling with me and we had a picnic lunch on the Abbey's grounds.

I used several of my favorite "quilting" tools to make this piece - my scanner, computer and printer.  After scanning the photo in and doing a little color adjustment, I printed it out on four pieces of fabric which I then pieced together to get the full quilt.


I used a little trapunto on the largest arch way, a little thread sketching and lots and lots of machine quilting.


I knew I wanted an irregular edge, so I finished it with a little bit of yarn that I couched over.


I called the piece Portal as I could see this as a doorway to the past - both to mine and the monks.

1 comment: