Saturday, February 18, 2012

February Free-Motion Quilting Challenge

Hard to believe I have finished February's challenge and it is only the 18th.  This month's tutorial was by Diane Gaudynski - a teacher I have wanted to take a class from for years.  Her tutorial on the challenge site was great - and I have her book Gaudynski's Machine Quilting Guidebook which I referenced often.

My main problem with this challenge was the feather's that I drew.  I used a 0.9mm ceramic lead pencil and the grey/green fabric is a piece of Cherrywood fabric I have had in the stash for some time.


They are too fat, and too far a part.  As I was quilting them, I didn't stay exactly on the line and was able to improved them slightly.


After I did the feathers I changed to a lighter color thread and stippled the remaining light grey area.  The stippling really highlighted the feathers.  I am pretty please with the stitching - as I do more and more free-motion the consistency of the stitch size is improving.

 . 

I am trying to make something out of every tutorial this year - my studio is filled to the rafters and another sample will not fit.  So after I finished the quilting this piece, I turned it into a notebook cover which I will be selling at our Member's Boutique at the Cobblestone Quilter's Guild Quilt Show in two weeks.




2 comments:

  1. Very nice work and I like the idea of turning samples into useful objects - best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - My goal this year is to keep improving my skills - and to clear out a little of my studio.

      Delete