Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Deer Attack 2011

Once again the deer have hit my garden.  When we moved here in 2005 - I brought daylilies and hostas from my garden in North Carolina.  Our house there was way out in the country.  We used to tell people that if they had reached the traffic light (the only one in town) they had gone to far.  I never had a problem with deer eating my plants. 

Fast forward to the spring of 2006.  My plants had settled in well in our new urban environment and the daylillies were full of buds.  My husband doubted me when I told him I thought we had deer in the area.  Then on my birthday they hit.  I went out in the morning and every single bud had been eaten.  I cut the stems and put them in a vase and I told my husband that evening that these were my birthday present from the deer.

I moved the plants to the fenced backyard and created my quilt Spring Interlude so I would always have a daylily flower regardless of the deer population.  My blog banner is a close up of this quilt.

Fast forward again to spring 2011.  We are in the process of straighten our fence and redoing a great deal of our backyard.  I had worked hard to divide the daylilies and move them around the yard.  The fence project is not complete - there are several gaps to be filled.

The other morning I was out on my elliptical and as the sun rose - I could tell something was not quite right.  During the night the deer had attacked.  What they didn't eat, they pulled up.  What was left is now on the porch until the fence is complete.

The saga continues . .  they came in again yesterday and got the ferns!

Maybe I need to make a deer quilt?

1 comment: