Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Another First

I had chosen the word ACT - Art Continuously Trained - for my word this year, but now I think First would have been a better choice. 


I just finished my first felted project.

At our quilt guild meeting in December one of the members had on a great felted hat and I just had to have one.  Found a pattern and some yarn over the Christmas holidays.  Unfortunately the yarn I had picked out - Paton Classic Wool was not the same weight as the pattern required.  Luckily my friend Sue pointed me to the book Felted Knits by Beverly Galeskas that had a similar hat using the yarn I had.

Started the hat on a Sunday and finished by Wednesday.  It is amazing how fast you can knit with fairly big yarn and needles.                  Of course it was a bit big.


 


Then I started the felting processes.  A little bit of soap and hot water and a small amount of time later I ended up with a hat like this.














I had padded out the wig head a little bit thinking it was a little to small, but when I tried on the hat after it had dried it was just a little bit to big.  So back into the hot water for another go.  I removed the padded from the wig head and let the hat dry again.  Now a perfect fit.

1 comment: