Years ago (more that 30!) we potted up a few of the Crotons and the Dieffanbacias and I still have some. They have suffered some through the years - with moves and dry climates - and there was at least once when my Croton was nothing but a stick. Everyone said it was a lost cause but with a little TLC it recovered and now is beautiful. I think being able to live on the screened in porch in the SC humidity for six months of the year has really helped it flourish.
In May, I attended the NC Quilt Symposium and took a class with Hollis Chatelain. I have been wanted to take a class from her for ever. It was wonderful. We needed to bring a few drawings to use for our painting and I decided that Grandma's Croton was one of them.
When I returned home and rinsed out the extra dye this is what the piece looked like:
I like uneven edges so created a couple of shadow leaves in the background and did an envelope finish. I used wool batting for the first time and am in love. I really like how it quilted and how it does not have a memory like cotton.
Next, I quilted the shadow leaves:
Then I quilted the main leaves using a red thread and a variegated yellow/orange.
I was very please how the pieced turned out and now have a croton that will survive even if the plant does not.
I am linking up to Nina Marie Sayre's Off the Wall Friday. Next week I hope to get back on my Marsh quilt after a long hiatus.